Visual + Information Designer
Cognition Studio is a boutique agency positioned to offer design, interaction, and biocommunication expertise to leaders in life sciences, healthcare, and global health.
We’re seeking a junior to mid-level designer with a strong foundation in visual design, and a burgeoning expertise in information design and data visualization.
Designers on our team are responsible for conceptualization and design of solutions to their completion. Like all designers on our team, you’ll be brought into a broad range of projects and expected to work in a variety of mediums. However, you’ll possess or develop a particular strength and lens around communicating information and data to specified audiences simply and effectively. Areas of work may include: communications, interaction, research/strategic, branding, marketing, or environmental design for print media or digital interaction.
The ideal candidate for this role is exceptionally creative, visual, human-oriented and passionate about the intersection of design, data and information, and visual communication. They are able to communicate, defend, and build consensus around design direction, and help drive areas of the experience with a sense of passion and ownership.
Partner with us to create visualizations, tools and experiences that will have meaningful impact in the world.
- Drive strong aesthetics and have clear functionality in a variety of styles and forms—from traditional graphic design, design thinking & research, digital & interaction design and motion.
- Help bring complex health, science and technological information, data and narratives to life with clarity and a high level of craft.
- Conceptualize and create unique and novel visualizations to communicate information, datasets, or processes effectively.
- Deliver creative and innovative solutions to complex information, visual and interaction problems that focus on the clarity of information, are easy to comprehend, are brand-centric, and are scalable.
- Conduct field research and data gathering to define use cases and collect necessary data to make concepts come to life.
- Produce scenarios, process flows, information architecture diagrams, wireframes, visual design redlines and other user experience strategies required for developing and evolving designs and visualizations.
- Create sketches, storyboards, wireframes, presentations, walk-throughs and paper prototypes to communicate your design to the rest of the team.
- Work with others to coordinate user testing efforts, interpret test results, and incorporate results into design and visualization efforts.
- Participate in design brainstorming and work sessions, supporting client strategy and project framing needs.
- Collaborate and communicate with fellow designers, researchers, development teams, special project partners and project managers from initial concept to final implementation for an integrated approach.
Related experience required. Must have strong interaction and visual design skills with the ability to design a wide range of project deliverables with strengths lying in HCI and digital interface design and complex information design. Strong communication and time management skills required. Ability to self-motivate and self-manage under deadline constraints. Must have the ability to understand technology issues and communicate information effectively. Proficiency in current and emerging web and mobile technologies and standard design software packages a must. Ability to demonstrate and present an in-depth knowledge of fundamental design principles around visual, interaction, and information design is a must as well as a proven record of applying a good design process. Ability to prototype design solutions, motion design skills, and basic programming knowledge are a plus, but not a requirement, for this role.
Bachelor’s degree in Visual Communication Design, Interaction Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Graphic Design, Fine Arts, Industrial Design or related area is required. A combination of education and experience may substitute for a degree.