Senior Information Designer
Cognition Studio, Inc. is a consultancy/agency working with innovation leaders in life sciences, healthcare, and global health.
We’re seeking a senior-level information designer with a strong foundation in visual design and an expertise in information and data visualization to join our team. You will be responsible for the ongoing production of a large body of research figures in a specific domain and will act as a resource for numerous data-related design needs in the studio across scientific, health and other areas of communication.
The ideal candidate for this role is passionate about the intersection of design, data and information, and visual communication, and is comfortable working directly with technical subject matter experts. Additionally, you’re familiar with design systems and are capable of creating design standards and identifying efficient workflow processes.
Partner with us to design visualizations, figures and frameworks that will have meaningful impact in the world.
You must enjoy problem-solving in a fast-moving, small-team environment and have the professional experience to work with large clients and a multitude of stakeholders. Our clients often choose us because of our nimble nature and consistent track record.
Core Technical Skills
- Use of data graphing software, to create visuals from live data sets.
- Adobe Illustrator
- D3, Processing and Chart.js preferred
- Collaborate with technical subject matter experts to understand the goals and meaning of a proposed visual.
- The design and production of visualizations and figures based on existing patterns and templates.
- Design unique visualizations to communicate information, datasets, processes, or concepts effectively.
- Oversee the production of numerous design requests; able to prioritize, to ensure delivery of quick and accurate deliverables; skilled in juggling multiple projects simultaneously.
- Create design patterns, standards, and workflows to guide the efficient production of work.
- Experience working directly with clients, stakeholders (especially analysts), and cross-functional team members.
- Ability to demonstrate and present knowledge of design principles around visual and information design.
- Extensive experience with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator), as well as digital tools like Sketch and Figma.
- Some experience with coding languages and libraries for data visualization preferred (eg. D3, Processing, chart.js).
- Demonstrates strong detail orientation, process orientation, organizational, and multi-tasking skills.
- Demonstrates ability to collaborate with diverse working styles and with team members across disciplines.
- Initiative to work and learn independently; a team player able to work collaboratively.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field is required. A combination of education and experience may substitute for a degree.
Must provide portfolio site for review along with resume and cover letter.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy Statement
Cognition Studio, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind
Cognition is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Cognition are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations. Cognition will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on these characteristics and encourages applicants of all ages.