Visual + Brand Designer
Cognition Studio is a boutique agency positioned to offer design, interaction, and biocommunication expertise to leaders in life sciences, healthcare, and global health.
We’re seeking a visual designer who can build solid brands to join our team.
A brand designer is responsible for foundational brand rationalization and psychographic architectures, working with writers to set brand voice + story, visual design conceptualization and design of solutions to their completion. Like all designers on our team, you’ll be brought into a broad range of projects and expected to work in a variety of mediums. In some client engagements, a visual designer collaborates on a team which could include other designers, writers, photographers, videographers, printers, illustrators, animators, etc. In other cases, brand designers are designated voice on a team to represent the client’s brand and authority in design decision-making. Areas of work may include: strategy and design research, logo development, color & type systems, art direction, corporate web UI design, marketing and campaign development, as well as environmental design for print media or digital interaction.
The ideal candidate for this role is exceptionally creative, visual, human-oriented and passionate about design and visual communication. They are able to communicate, defend, and build consensus around design direction, and help drive areas of the experience with a sense of passion and ownership.
Partner with us to create designs, tools, and experiences that will have meaningful impact in the world.
- Participate and lead in design brainstorming and work sessions, supporting client strategy and project framing needs.
- Collaborate and communicate with designers, researchers, development teams, special project partners and project managers from initial concept to final implementation for an integrated approach.
- Manage our client’s outward facing brand (mission, products or services) through creative solutions designed by the project team.
- Conduct industry research and SWOT analysis to define brand comparisons and collect necessary data to make rationalized concepts.
- Produce brand rationalization books and other brand strategies required for developing and evolving designs and systems at scale.
- Create sketches, mood boards, presentations, and paper prototypes to communicate your design to the rest of the team.
- Work with others to coordinate design critiques, feedback loops for an iterative methodology, and incorporate results into design efforts.
- Drive strong aesthetics and have clear functionality in a variety of styles and forms—from traditional graphic design, design thinking & research—to digital & marketing, built environments and other media including photography and video.
- Help bring complex health, science and technological information, data and narratives to life with clarity.
- Deliver creative and innovative solutions to complex brand storytelling needs that focus on the clarity of information, are easy to comprehend, are brand-centric, and build brand loyalty.
- Develop innovative and measurable mindshare campaigns and other client marketing & communication strategies.
Related experience required. Must have strong branding and visual design skills with the ability to design a wide range of project deliverables with strengths lying in systems and advertising and sophisticated visual design. Strong communication and project management skills required. Ability to self-motivate and self-manage under deadline constraints. Must have the ability to understand technology issues and communicate information effectively. Proficiency in current design technologies and standard design software packages a must. Ability to demonstrate and present an in-depth knowledge of fundamental design principles around visual- and brand systems is a must as well as a proven record of applying a good design process. Ability to prototype design solutions and client presentation skills are a plus but not a requirement for this role.
Bachelor’s degree in Visual Communication Design, Graphic Design or related area is required. A combination of education and experience may substitute for a Master’s degree.