Lead Visual Designer
Cognition Studio,Inc. is a consultancy/agency working with innovation leaders in life sciences, healthcare, and global health.
We’re seeking a Lead Visual Designer with a strong pedigree in design. Expertise in leading teams to create design systems and a solid approach to delivering consistent visual solutions for various executions/mediums. You’ll play a central role in working with directors and clients to define a strategy to client problems and methods the designers reporting to you will use to accomplish their work products. You’ll also get to help shape the Design team culture founded on passion, collaboration, and curiosity.
Our designers collaborate and partner with client teams to ensure design intent is maintained through delivery. Our team environment is collaborative, diverse, supportive and committed to harnessing the power of design to communicate complex health information that aims to improve the quality of people’s lives while changing the trajectory of scientific innovation to healthcare. You’ll be working with clients ranging in size from start-ups/incubators to public biopharma.
- Collaborative style, with strong organizational and team leadership skills
- Strong visual design aesthetics and principles
- Experience with and use of design methods
- Proven record of award-winning design solutions
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently on multiple projects at once
- Strong sense of ownership and delegation capabilities
- Excellent communication skills: able to solicit feedback and keep work moving forward
- Fluent in current design tools (Adobe CC, Mural, Figma, Sketch, etc.)
- Ability to prepare presentations of design work (yours and/or the teams), and speak to solutions in a simple and compelling manner
- Focused on excellence in visual design for scientific discoveries and health impact
- Experience in up stream scientific innovation and biopharma strongly encouraged
- Facilitate project definition discovery sessions to ensure clarity of project requirements.
- Write or contribute to written briefs, project specifications to gain team consensus and client approval.
- Define brand persona and brand architecture systems. Including landscape research, and market analysis where applicable.
- Create brand collateral and oversee designers’ execution of client branded and unbranded materials.
- Facile in a variety of mediums from brand, print, digital and environmental.
- Be a champion of design quality and enable our entire design team to exceed expectations through collaboration and mentorship.
- Use data and user research to inform design decisions and directions.
- Be a key liaison between Cognition’s design team and the client team.
- Work in a collaborative and iterative manner to achieve excellence in design.
- Ability to work independently through ambiguous situations, and in undefined areas and features.
- Ability to scope and estimate efforts accurately and prioritize tasks and goals independently.
- Contribute to and positively shape the design team’s culture through collaboration, feedback, and process iteration.
- Bachelor in Design (BDes) in visual communication design or Visual Design Degree. Post-Graduate Degrees are a plus.
- Minimum 5-8+ years’ experience in Visual Design is required. Must have team leadership experience.
- Strong portfolio showing full systems design and comprehensive brand systems for the breadth and depth of design leadership skills.
- Experience in integrating content design and visual storytelling to ensure a consistent holistic experience is preferred.
- Experience collaborating with Designers, Animators/illustrators, Program Managers, Writers, Strategists and Developers.
- Portfolio will be requested
How to apply
Email a cover letter, resume and link to portfolio site to the “Apply Here” link on this page with subject line: “Application: [Job Title]”
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy Statement
Cognition Studio, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind
Cognition is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Cognition are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations. Cognition will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics and encourages applicants of all ages.