Cognition Studio, a consultancy/agency working with innovation leaders in life sciences, healthcare, and global health.
Partner with us to create tools and websites that will have meaningful impact in the world. We’re looking for a lead developer with a background building and maintaining websites and applications in an agency setting. Successful candidates will be comfortable wearing multiple hats, leading a team of developers and collaborating with creative teams in a dynamic environment.
Lead developers foster good relationships with the creative leads and client teams. They define the technological approach, working to set sprints and staff assignments to oversee the delivery of the work. They strive for problem solving, innovative thinking, and cross team collaboration to build efficient and effective outcomes.
You will be responsible for working closely with the project teams to define development goals and product requirements that meet client business objectives. A successful candidate will like to mentor other developers through tech guidance, trouble shooting, and prioritization discussions. You will work closely with the TPM and the project PM to ensure clarity into deadlines and other critical path needs. As a lead, setting the pace, skills, and procedures for the team are required. This is a strong doing (delivery) role as well as a mentor role.
- Building web applications, modules, and PHP/Jamstack CMS backed websites (WordPress and Craft CMS skills required, experience with other CMS platforms like Netlify CMS/Contentful preferred).
- Offering technical advisement on design prototypes & mock-ups to improve the outcome for our clients.
- Managing hosting, DNS, or database backups/transfers/provisions for internal or client needs as required.
- Managing and supporting dev team and delegating projects and assignments
- Report to Design Director & UX AD; support TPM with management and project knowledge.
- Self-directed: able to work independently with minimal supervision in a small, studio environment.
- Driven: at Cognition we value the desire to learn more and continued professional development.
- Flexible: with our expansive client base, candidates must be prepared to work on multiple projects in a given day.
- Excellent organization and communication skills to collaborate with internal and external team members.
- Comfortable recommending technologies based on project requirements.
- Knowledgeable on best development practices including source control management, coding standards, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Dog Friendly
- CSS(3) / SCSS (Emotion/Styled Components)
- PHP (Blade/Twig templating)
- Proficient in PHP-based content management systems such as WordPress, Craft, etc.
- Use of CLI tools/package managers (npm/Yarn/Composer) & build tools (Gulp/Webpack)
- Source Control – Git along with experience using GitHub/Bitbucket
- Experience with REST/GraphQL APIs
- Prior agency experience
- Comfortable with various hosting platforms, managing VPS & databases via SSH, and local setups utilizing Vagrant/Valet
- Experience with Roots stack for WordPress development (Trellis/Bedrock/Sage)
- Experience with Pantheon/WP Engine/Kinsta hosting platforms
- Comfortable with Jamstack & platforms like Netlify/Vercel
- Data visualization development (D3.js)
- Experience with CSS/JS/SVG animations and applicable libraries (Framer Motion/GSAP/etc.)
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud and Sketch
- AWS/Cloud services experience
- Familiarity with Agile processes
How to apply
Email a cover letter, resume and link to git repo and other relevant code reviews to the “Apply Here” link on this page with subject line: “Application: [Job Title]”
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy Statement
Cognition Studio, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind
Cognition is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Cognition are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations. Cognition will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics and encourages applicants of all ages.