Junior Web Developer (Front End)
- Eager to learn not afraid to jump in
- Knows how to roll up their sleeves
- Clear communication and leaves the ego at the door
Cognition Studio, a boutique agency uniquely positioned to offer design, interaction, and biocommunication expertise to leaders in life sciences, healthcare, and global health is seeking a junior front end web developer with skills using modern web technologies and an eagerness to grow and learn within a team.
Partner with us to create tools and experiences that will have meaningful impact in the world. We’re looking for a developer with a background working within an agency setting or similar contract roles. Successful candidates will be comfortable working on varying projects while collaborating with other developers and designers on the fly in a dynamic, changing environment.
- Working with LAMP-stack CMS backed websites (WordPress and Craft CMS).
- Working with JAM-stack static sites or headless frontends (React & Gatsby, WordPress/Craft GraphQL/REST APIs)
- Report to dev Lead; and support devs, designers, and ADs with site maintenance, updates, documentation, and content population.
- Self-directed: able to work independently once given guided supervision in a small, studio environment.
- Driven: at Cognition we value the desire to learn more and continued professional development.
- Flexible: with our expansive client base, candidates must be prepared to work on multiple projects in a given day.
- Excellent organization and communication skills to collaborate with internal and external team members.
- Knowledgeable on best development practices including source control management, coding standards, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Experience working in a team setting and with multiple developers.
- Dog Friendly
- CSS(3) / SCSS / Styled Components (Emotion)
- PHP (Blade/Twig templating)
- Proficient in PHP-based content management systems such as WordPress, Craft, etc.
- Use of CLI tools/package managers (npm/Yarn/Composer) & build tools (Gulp/Webpack)
- Source Control – Git along with experience using GitHub/Bitbucket
- Working knowledge of WordPress Advanced Custom Fields
- Comfortable working in various hosting platforms and VPS
- Experience with REST/GraphQL APIs
- Prior agency experience
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud and Sketch
- Familiarity with Agile processes
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science or related field (or skilled bootcamp graduate)
How to apply
Email a cover letter, resume and link to git repo and other relevant code reviews to the “Apply Here” link on this page with subject line: “Application: [Job Title]”
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy Statement
Cognition Studio, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind
Cognition is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Cognition are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations. Cognition will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics and encourages applicants of all ages.