Full Stack Web Developer
Must provide portfolio site and/or GitHub for review along with resume and cover letter.
How to apply: Email a cover letter, resume and portfolio for review to the “Apply Here” link on this page with subject line: “Application: Full Stack Web Developer”
Cognition Studio, Inc. is a consultancy/agency working with innovation leaders in life sciences, healthcare, and global health.
We’re looking for an experienced full stack web developer looking to continue their career at a boutique design studio.
As a Web Developer, you will help deliver engaging, modern web experiences for our Life Science clients. As the functional expert for the solution, you will be working collaboratively with a team and clients. You should be able to take a site from design to launch with minimal oversight and assistance (though of course the team is here to support you when you need it). You should be able to reason your way through issues that crop up, but also willing to raise your hand and ask for help when needed.
We hire people who quickly identify problems and rapidly look for solutions, who always take the time to log a bug, no matter how small it may be.
We are not looking for head-down, focus-only-on-code developers. We are client-focused, which means you’ll be interacting with clients and need to be responsive to their inquiries, even if it’s just emailing a quick “We’ll look into that and get back to you.” Our developers are also part of a broader team of creatives, and the ability to collaborate and communicate within that team is vital for success of both the individuals and the agency.
The ideal candidate enjoys problem-solving in a fast-moving, small-team environment but still has the professional experience to work with large clients and a multitude of stakeholders. Our clients often choose us because of our nimble nature and consistent track record.
- Excellent communication skills to collaborate with internal and external team members.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently on multiple projects at once. Strong sense of ownership of your work.
- Fastidious about documentation for processes and ongoing work.
- Knowledgeable of best development practices, including source control management, coding standards, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Self-directed worker who can function independently with minimal supervision in a small studio environment.
Core Technical Skills
- Deep experience with modern web technologies
- Seemingly infinite attention to detail when translating designs to the web
- Experience in taking projects from a design to production
- Expert working knowledge of at least one of: custom WordPress builds, Craft, React, Gatsby, Statamic, Laravel
- General knowledge of UI, cross-browser compatibility, general web functions and standards, best practices
- Expert experience with source control, including GitHub/Bitbucket
- Responsive design thinking comes as second nature to you
- Knowledgeable of testing and QA protocols to ensure correctness of deliverables
- Fluent enough in design tools to the point of being able to extract relevant information from them (e.g., Adobe CC, Mural, Figma, Sketch, etc.)
- Knowledgeable enough of server administration to manage issues when they crop up (e.g., you should know how to restart a database service and the functional differences between different PHP versions)
- Nice-to-have: Experience with adding vibrancy to websites through movement and interaction, incl. SVG animations, D3.js, infographics, etc.
- Build new projects using a variety of different content management systems, as appropriate to the specific projects
- Help maintain legacy projects, including updates and upgrades to CMSes, platforms and servers
- Assist with the creation of statements of work, including providing time estimates for work completion and expertise/insight into technology selections
- Maintaining CMS and security updates, SSL certificates are current and secure.
- Continue to grow in your understanding and skills of modern web development (skills development budget and R&D time are provided)
- Participate in client meetings.
- You have at least 3 years of experience in web development
- You enjoy working directly with clients and maintaining client relationships
- You have a proactive mindset that supports your success on a small team. When you see something that needs to be done, you take it on without thinking twice.
- Ideally, you have experience in the life science space
- You have top-notch oral and written communication skills and have no problem conversing with clients, designers, and other developers.
- You’re charming – coworkers and clients love you, and more importantly, trust you.
- You can effectively communicate ideas in a presentation setting.
- You have excellent team-building, problem-solving, and conflict resolution skills.
- You have a genuine enthusiasm for the work you do, exude positive energy, and can maintain a sense of humor under pressure.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy Statement
Cognition Studio, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind
Cognition is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Cognition are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations. Cognition will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on these characteristics and encourages applicants of all ages.