Head of Development, Associate Director of Technology
Cognition Studio, Inc. is a consultancy/agency working with innovation leaders in life sciences, healthcare, and global health.
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do, and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
How to apply:
Email a cover letter, resume and portfolio for review to the “Submit Application” link on this page with subject line: “Application: Head of Development”
We’re seeking a multi-skilled technology expert with 9+ years of experience in all matters of digital business solutions and web development, who provides management and leadership in the design, development, and delivery of technology-enabled applications, products, and services. You will be responsible for guiding technical solutions to web and development projects and are responsible for meeting development schedules and ensuring the delivered solution meets all technical specifications and design requirements.
The Head of Web Development, AD of Technology is a member of our executive leadership team at Cognition and works in partnership with other associate directors to frame approach to projects. As a consultant you help partner with clients and project teams and manage the development teams to drive delivery and push digital innovation. You must be capable of identifying and vetting development talent and must be able lead and mentor their growth.
The ideal candidate for this role is an entrepreneur at the core and a clear self-starter, with the ability to work with minimal supervision and are very comfortable in a dynamic environment and comfortable with change. Critical for success in this role requires working collaboratively in a team-oriented environment with multi-disciplinary teams. You are curious, creative, and adept at problem solving with leadership skills, business acumen, and a strong desire to contribute to the continued growth and development of the agency and its clients.
You must enjoy business-based clients and working in a fast-moving, small-team environment and have the people management, technical management and professional experience to work with large clients and a multitude of stakeholders. Our clients often choose us because of our nimble nature and consistent track record.
Core Technical Skills:
New Business Development:
Participates in pre-project business development activities including audits, consulting, pricing, and delivering pitch work
Technology Team Management:
Oversee and manage a team of dedicated developers. Collaborate with other technology directors and cross-department leadership to manage and coordinate all day-to-day product development processes.
Technology Evangelism and Education:
Act as a source of digital innovation for agency, partners, and clients through the research, experimentation, and education of technology business solutions. Including collaborative visioning for application of technology in our area of expertise.
Application Development Management:
Directly responsible for the planning, coordination, troubleshooting, deployment and general oversite of the entire software development life cycle.
Agency Technology Liaison:
Perform as the agency’s digital subject matter expert during collaborations with external technology entities such as client IT teams, technology providers, and agency partners.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participates in upstream project planning activities including audits, consulting, delivering cost and timing estimates, and participation in new business pitches.
- Provides guidance and consultation to clients regarding technology related business challenges and objectives.
- Performs code reviews, audits, and ensures adherence to established coding standards.
- Engages with teams in Application Development, Project Management, User Experience, Product Design, and Business Strategy.
- Collaborates with various disciplines in developing digital project documentation.
- Provides technical leadership and assumes overall accountability for successful implementation and delivery of all technology projects.
- Manages, mentors, and delegates to a team of full time and freelance developers.
- Sets direction for all aspects of our technology practice in partnership with the other members of the technology leadership team.
- Assigned development (coding & programming) tasks and project roles where needed and desired.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
Expert level knowledge of front-end development technologies:
- Preference for React, GatsbyJS specifically
- Sass, PostCSS, Styled Components or similar
- Gulp, Webpack, or similar build automation tools.
Expert level knowledge of back end development technologies:
- Python, Java, .Net, PHP
- Laravel and Docker
- CMS platform preference is WordPress and Craft
- MySQL, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, and other database technologies
Experienced with modern web development practices:
- Responsive and mobile-first web design
- Headless Architectures
- SPAs, PWAs, and front-end application state management
- Systems and Application Architecture Design
- Cross browser/device compatible web apps
Familiar with cloud service providers:
- Microsoft Azure, AWS, or Google Cloud
Exposed to the development of other technologies:
- Voice Applications and chat bots
- VR, WebVR, and AR
- Mobile Applications
- Smart Devices and IOT
Self-motivated and supportive of a broad range of medical & life science clients
Is attentive and shows interest in the subject, Expresses ideas clearly and accurately
Displays a positive attitude
Travel may be required for sales pitches, project intake meetings, client training sessions, internal company meetings, industry conferences and professional development activities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy Statement
Cognition Studio, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind
Cognition is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Cognition are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations. Cognition will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on these characteristics and encourages applicants of all ages.