Senior Medical Illustrator + Animator
Cognition Studio is a boutique agency positioned to offer design, interaction, and biocommunication (science storytelling) expertise to leaders in life sciences, healthcare, and global health.
Curiosity creates a virtuous cycle of creative exploration. We are seeking to add a veteran, Senior Medical Illustrator + Animator to our award-winning Science Storytelling team. The ideal candidate for this role loves to craft biotech/pharma/healthcare narratives through static and motion that takes form in a variety of outlets and platforms to maximize impact.
A senior medical illustrator + animator helps complex health, science and technological information, data, and narratives come to life with clarity based on artistic capability, training, and science-driven rigor. They are responsible for the visualization of solutions from concept through completion. Like other science storytellers on our team, you’ll touch a broad range of clients, projects, and subject matter and will be expected to work in a variety of mediums. In some client engagements, a senior medical illustrator + animator directs the work of a team which could include other science storytellers, designers, developers, and writers. In other cases, a senior medical illustrator + animator will not manage other team members but are designated “senior” because of their experience and authority in biocommunication. Areas of work include: branded science storytelling for static or motion expressed in print, digital, or experiential (e.g., environment).
The ideal candidate for this role is an advocate for first-rate science storytelling. They are exceptionally creative, highly visual, human-oriented, and equally research and artistically driven. They can communicate, defend, and build consensus around a visualization’s direction, and help drive areas of the experience with a sense of passion and ownership. This includes participating in and leading brainstorming/work sessions, supporting client strategy, as well as client engagement and project framing needs (e.g., project quotes, work back schedules).
Join our Seattle team and create science storytelling experiences that will have meaningful impact in the world.
- Create engaging illustrations and 3D animations / models for a broad range of topics that include both soft (e.g., cells, proteins) and hard (e.g., medical device)
- Review science storytelling projects to determine resource requirements and collaborate with leadership and team members to define schedules and deliverables, and to ensure project time lines and goals are met
- Create original work while ensuring a consistent level of artistic excellence and factual accuracy (i.e., scientific credibility)
- Must be able to create high-quality work in a deadline-driven environment
- Work with our team of designers, developers, and science storytellers to create molecular, anatomical, or illustrations, animations, illustrations, or interactive pieces (e.g., web, XR)
- Help coordinate illustration and animation assets and renders within the pipeline to ensure easy access by team members and on-time delivery of the final product
- Multi task by coordinating project status’ and revision requests for multiple projects running in tandem
- Quickly adapt to shifting priorities with the ability/willingness to lean in to help meet delivery deadlines
- Actively researching new digital tools to assist in the science storytelling work flow/pipeline or achieve novel/better results
- Assist in technical support for the science storytelling team including troubleshooting animation solutions, digital tools (plug-ins and assets), and render farm
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills along with excellent attention to detail
- Accurately track and log time on projects using project management software
- Positive attitude, self-motivated, strong work ethic, and strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to understand and process constructive criticism, direction, and feedback both from the client and internally
A master’s degree in Medical Illustration/Animation from an accredited program is required, and an ideal candidate is a CMI in good standing. Five to seven years of hands-on, illustration and 3D animation experience, preferably in the field of practice with at least 3 years as a senior medical animator or lead animator.
Prior agency or related experience strongly preferred. The applicant must have a passion for storytelling and is proficient in current/emerging digital tech + rendering abilities. Can demonstrate and present in-depth knowledge of fundamental biomedical communication principles and visualization process is a must (e.g., research aggregation processes, methods for knowledge translation).
- Expert draftsmanship to solve complex problems (e.g., concept work and storyboarding)
- Expert knowledge of Cinema 4D (or other 3D modeling and animating package – if expertise lies in another software package, must be willing to move into Cinema 4D), including key-frame animation, hard surface and organic modeling, physics and dynamics simulations (including thinking particles and Xparticles), complex rigging systems, Xpresso, UV surfacing/mapping, lighting, and texturing
- Proficiency in character rigging and animation (for both humans/animals and molecules)
- Advanced knowledge of material creation along with standard, physical, ProRender, and other 3rd party render engines (especially GPU based such as Octane or RedShift).
- Exceptional proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, and Premiere Pro
- Proficiency in ePMV and Chimera (or another 3D molecular viewer)
- Solid understanding of compositing (especially render passes in After Effects), color grading, video production for a variety of formats (web, TV, mobile, etc)
- OsiriX, Zbrush, Substance Painter/Designer, and Houdini experience is a plus but not a requirement for this role.
- An understanding of XR technologies, high-end exhibit experience is a plus but not a requirement for this role.