Cognition Studio is a boutique agency positioned to offer design, interaction, and biocommunication expertise to leaders in life sciences, healthcare, and global health.
We’re seeking a senior designer to join our team.
A senior designer is responsible for conceptualization and design of solutions to their completion. Like all designers on our team, you’ll be brought into a broad range of projects and expected to work in a variety of mediums. In some client engagements, a senior designer directs the work of a team which could include other designers, developers, illustrators, animators, etc. In other cases, senior designers do not manage other team members but are designated “senior” because of their experience and authority in design decision-making. Areas of work may include: branding, marketing, communications, interaction, research/strategic, or environmental design for print media or digital interaction.
The ideal candidate for this role is exceptionally creative, visual, human-oriented and passionate about design and visual communication. They are able to communicate, defend, and build consensus around design direction, and help drive areas of the experience with a sense of passion and ownership.
Partner with us to create designs, tools, and experiences that will have meaningful impact in the world.
- Participate and lead in design brainstorming and work sessions, supporting client strategy and project framing needs.
- Collaborate and communicate with designers, researchers, development teams, special project partners and project managers from initial concept to final implementation for an integrated approach.
- Manage our client’s outward facing brand (mission, products or services) through creative solutions designed by the project team.
- Conduct field research and data gathering to define use cases and collect necessary data to make concepts come to life.
- Produce scenarios, process flows, information architecture diagrams, wireframes, visual design redlines and other user experience strategies required for developing and evolving designs and visualizations.
- Create sketches, storyboards, wireframes, presentations, walk-throughs and paper prototypes to communicate your design to the rest of the team.
- Work with others to coordinate user testing efforts, interpret test results, and incorporate results into design and visualization efforts.
- Drive strong aesthetics and have clear functionality in a variety of styles and forms—from traditional graphic design, design thinking & research, digital & interactive design and motion.
- Help bring complex health, science and technological information, data and narratives to life with clarity.
- Deliver creative and innovative solutions to complex visual and interaction problems that focus on the clarity of information, are easy to comprehend, are brand-centric, and build brand loyalty.
- Develop innovative and measurable mindshare campaigns and other client marketing & communication strategies.
Related experience required. Must have strong interaction and visual design skills with the ability to design a wide range of project deliverables with strengths lying in HCI and digital interface design and complex information design. Strong communication and project management skills required. Ability to self-motivate and self-manage under deadline constraints. Must have the ability to understand technology issues and communicate information effectively. Proficiency in current and emerging web and mobile technologies and standard design software packages a must. Ability to demonstrate and present an in-depth knowledge of fundamental design principles around visual- and interaction design is a must as well as a proven record of applying a good design process. Ability to prototype design solutions and motion design skills are a plus but not a requirement for this role.
Master’s degree in Visual Communication Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Graphic Design, Fine Arts, Industrial Design or related area is required. A combination of education and experience may substitute for a Master’s degree.